Fulbright UK Summer Institutes
Website: Fulbright UK Summer Institutes
The Fulbright UK Summer Institutes are 3-4 week programs for US undergraduate students, who have no or very little travel experience outside North America. Participants can explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK while experiencing higher education at a UK university.
Summer Institutes available:
- University of Exeter Fulbright UK Summer Institute on Global Sustainability
- Glasgow School of Art & University of Strathclyde Fulbright Scotland Summer Institute on Technology, Innovation and Creativity
- Queen's University Summer Institute 2023 on Understanding Northern Ireland
- Fulbright University of Bristol Summer Institute on Arts, Activism and Social Justice
- Fulbright Aberystwyth University Summer Institute on Identity and Nationhood through the lens of Wales
Depending on the Institute, students will have the opportunity to:
- Study alongside leading academics and professionals
- Develop knowledge in specific fields
- Experience cultural and social events
- Visit UK cultural sites and areas of scenic beauty
- Receive credit to transfer to their home institution
- Meet people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Become an ambassador for studying in the UK, for the Fulbright Commission and their host institution(s)
The Institute costs covered by the Fulbright Commission and its partner institutions include:
- Round-trip airfare
- Tuition and fees at the host institution
- In some cases, a small daily allowance for meals
- Be a US citizen and possess a US passport
- Have had no or very little study/travel experience outside of North America
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the programme
- Be able to participate in the programme in its entirety
- Have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
- US Citizen
Please see https://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-uk/uk-summer-institutes/how-to-apply for details and tips.
The best applications are from well-rounded students who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic ability
- Ambassadorial skills
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the UK and to share aspects of American culture
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the US upon returning
Choosing an Institute
There are several UK Summer Institutes available every year. Each Institute is hosted by a different university, and each focuses on a specific historical or cultural context, or a subject or topic. You do not need to be familiar with these to apply and are encouraged to explore your interests.
Applicants should follow the steps outlined below:
- Read the FAQs and terms and conditions
- Apply online using this link and upload a transcript to the application form as a PDF (official transcripts are preferred)
- Select two (2) references and enter their email addresses into the application. They should receive a notification message that will lead them to their own online portal to submit a reference letter.
The application form must be completed, with transcript attached, and submitted before the deadline. Your references should also submit your letters before the deadline or your application will be incomplete. An application will not be considered completed if any of these items are missing or submitted late.
Finalists will be invited to interview in April. Summer Institute interviews are by video conference call and can only be rescheduled under extreme circumstances.
Please see the timeline for an overview of application status notifications. The Fulbright Commission cannot comment or provide feedback on individual applications.
If you have questions or any general enquiries, you may send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UW Seattle applicants can get feedback on application materials from:
Robin Chang or Chetana Acharya
Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
171 Mary Gates Hall