Scotland's Saltire Scholarships
Website: Saltire Scholarships
Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships is a programme of scholarships offered by the Scottish Government in collaboration with Scottish universities in the areas of science, technology, creative industries, healthcare and medical sciences, and renewable and clean energy.
Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships are an incredible opportunity to study in a country with world-leading universities and a long tradition of academic excellence. Our chosen scholars are people who aspire to become influential leaders in their future careers. They have wide ranging interests outside their studies and a desire to broaden their personal and academic experience in Scotland.
The scheme offers up to 50 awards, each worth £8000, towards tuition fees for any one year of full time study on a postgraduate Masters programme at any of Scotland’s higher education institutions.
Scholarships are available to citizens of the following countries: Canada, China (including Hong Kong), India, Japan, Pakistan and USA.
Saltire Scholars will also have the opportunity to take part in a programme of activities over and above their studies, including dialogue with the academic and business community in Scotland.
As one of our Saltire Scholars, you’ll act as an ambassador not only for the Saltire Scholarships programme, but also for Scotland.
In order to be eligible for a Saltire Scholarship, candidates must:
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer of a place at a Scottish university on an eligible course that will be delivered physically in Scotland or via distance online learning or via a combination of both.
- Be a citizen of Canada, India, Japan, USA, Pakistan or China (Hong Kong citizens are also eligible as it is a Special Administrative Region of China).
- Be able to demonstrate that they can meet the costs of living in Scotland (where this is applicable) and the remaining tuition fees.
- Not have previously studied in Scotland.
- Not have previously received a Saltire Scholarship.
- Meet the language requirements of the course.
- Complete an application form and submit it by the closing date of 28 May 2021.
- The course must be a postgraduate Masters level course in one of the following subject areas:
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants must demonstrate:
- An interest in studying in Scotland and/or at a specific Scottish university.
- The aspiration to work and study in a global context and take a position of leadership in their chosen career.
- A willingness and the necessary interpersonal and communication skills required to participate in the programme of activities that accompanies the scholarships.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
- International or Other Visa Status
Apply online at https://www.scotland.org/study/saltire-scholarships.
Saltire Scholars will be required to:
- Maintain a standard of conduct that will uphold the good reputation of the Saltire Scholarship Programme and the institution at which they study.
- Actively participate in the programme’s extra-curricular events. Scholars will participate in a welcome reception and an end of year conference. (Scholars may be excused from attending in the event of exceptional circumstances).
- Support communications activity promoting Scotland and Scottish higher education, based on their own experience. This might include:
- Posting on social media about their time and experience in Scotland.
- Being available for an interview (including on camera) during either the welcome or end-of-year event, granting Scottish Government and the relevant university the right to use the text and footage indefinitely.
- Agreeing that the Scottish Government can use any photographs, blogs, quotes etc in connection with your Saltire Scholarship participation for marketing purposes.
- In accordance with relevant data protection legislation, give consent to the use of their contact data in order to receive information on the Saltire programme both during their studies and after graduation.