Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation Scholarships
Website: Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation
Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation awards over $50,000 in total scholarships at UW each year. The program annually recognizes rising UW sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students (apply during your freshman, sophomore, junior year or once already established as a graduate student), based on distinguished achievement in scholarship, leadership and service to the campus and community.
The Foundation accepts scholarship applications each spring for the upcoming academic year. To be considered, an applicant must be a currently enrolled student at the University of Washington at the time of application. An applicant also must be a sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student at the University of Washington throughout the upcoming academic year.
The Mortar Board scholarship application is not an application for collegiate membership in Mortar Board honor society. It is solely a scholarship application, and membership in Mortar Board is not required for scholarship selection.
- Applicants must be an enrolled sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student of the University of Washington, including all campuses, during the upcoming academic year. (Please note, incoming freshmen admitted to begin at UW in the upcoming Autumn quarter are not eligible to apply until next year. Current freshmen completing their first year at UW during the spring application period are eligible to apply this year)
- If selected as a semifinalist, applicants must be available for a personal interview to be scheduled with the Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation Scholarship Committee.
- Applicants must not be related to a past or present director and/or employee of the Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation.
- An awarded scholarship can be used only for tuition and other eligible education expenses.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
- International or Other Visa Status
Completed applications (and letters of reference) must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
To be considered, each completed application must be submitted as a combined, single PDF (combining all elements), and must include:
- The application form is available for download here.
- Cover letter about yourself (no more than 1 page)
- Current resume with your work history (no more than 1 page)
- Up to 4 pages demonstrating your qualifications for this scholarship, using the following headings: (1) Scholarship; (2) Leadership; (3) Service; and (4) Honors & Awards. For scholarship, leadership, and service descriptions, please include relevant recent and past experiences, both on and off campus, including dates, hours/week, and total hours for each activity listed.
- Current unofficial transcript(s) of your academic record (UW and all other colleges)
- At least 1 letter of recommendation, sent directly from your recommender(s) in a separate PDF to email@example.com, on or before the deadline.
Mortar Board is a national honor society recognizing college seniors for their exemplary scholarship, leadership, and service. Mortar Board membership is one of the highest honors a university student can achieve. There has been an active Mortar Board chapter (Tolo Chapter) at the University of Washington since 1909. Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation, a related but separate alumni organization which annually awards these UW merit scholarships annually, was started by Tolo Chapter alumni and Mortar Board alumni graduating from other universities but living in the Puget Sound area.
If you have questions about the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other Mortar Board Alumni/Tolo Foundation matters, please send your email to email@example.com.