Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship

Website: FLAS Fellowships


FLAS Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and area or international studies competencies. Students from all UW departments and schools are encouraged to apply.

Contingent on funding from the U.S. Department of Education, the four National Resource Centers of the University of Washington will offer Academic Year and Summer FLAS Fellowships in the following languages:

Bangla, Burmese, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Inuktut, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Persian, Tagalog, Thai, Urdu, VietnameseGraduate students only: French (intermediate or advanced only).

  • Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or U.S. national
  • Must be a current or incoming student to a full-time program of study at the University of Washington.  Applicants to full-time UW programs may apply simultaneously for the FLAS fellowship.
  • Undergraduates are:
  • Graduates are:
    • Eligible for intermediate- or advanced-level study of the languages supported by the four UW Centers
    • Eligible for beginning-level language study in exceptional circumstances.   Special approval is required, and is considered on a case-by-case basis.  If you already have advanced proficiency in another language related to your studies, you are eligible to apply for a FLAS to support beginning-level study of another language related to your studies.
    • Ineligible for beginning-level language study of French
Student Type
  • freshman
  • sophomore
  • junior
  • senior
  • graduate
Citizen Type
  • US Citizen
  • Permanent Resident

Please see for application information and additional details.

What materials do I need to apply for a FLAS fellowship?

  1. A written proposal, in essay format
  2. Official or unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended
  3. Letters of recommendation; applicants for graduate FLAS fellowships must submit 2 general and 1 language recommendation. Applicants for undergraduate FLAS fellowships must submit 1 general and 1 language recommendation. 
  4. Federal student aid report (SAR) or UW Office of Financial Aid award letter
Contact Information
If you have any questions, contact