Scholarship America Dream Award
Website: Scholarship America Dream Award
The Dream Award is Scholarship America’s renewable scholarship program for financially needy students who have overcome barriers and have successfully started their college education. Awards were made to students selected from across the nation who are entering their second year or higher of education beyond high school; the scholarships are both renewable and increase in amount each year. Scholarship America provides Dream Awards ranging from $5,000 to $15,000 based on the individual student’s financial need. Each student’s award will increase by $1,000 each year to help them successfully finish school and earn their degrees.
Dream Award scholarships include general scholarships, STEM-specific scholarships (for study in science, technology, engineering and math-related majors), the World Journal Dream Award Scholarship for Chinese American students and the Midwest Scholars Dream Award for students in eligible states. Financial need will always be considered in determining award amounts.
Applicants for the 2020-21 Dream Award must:
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Be U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident card), or individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA).
- Have received a high school diploma or the equivalent from a U.S. school by September 2019.
- Have completed or expect to successfully complete a minimum of one full year of postsecondary education by June 2020.
- Plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at the sophomore year level or higher at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school in the United States for the entire 2020–21 academic year.
- Be studying to obtain an associate’s or first bachelor’s degree.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
- Demonstrate financial need.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
Apply online at https://scholarshipamerica.org/dreamaward/
Selection of Recipients:
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, honors, work experience, statement of goals and aspirations and unusual personal or family circumstances that demonstrate the student has overcome barriers to success, and an outside appraisal. Financial need must be demonstrated and will be used to determine the amount of each award, ranging from $5,000 to $15,000.
An external selection committee comprised of educators and community leaders will select recipients. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Applicants will be notified of their status in mid-January. Semifinalists will be notified of their status in April. Not all semifinalists will be selected as recipients.
If you have questions regarding the eligibility criteria or application process for the program, please contact the program by email at email@example.com or by phone at 507-931-1682.