German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Graduate Study Scholarship
The German Academic Exchange Service Graduate (DAAD) Study Scholarships are awarded to highly qualified graduating seniors or those who have received an undergraduate degree of all disciplines may apply for the DAAD Study Scholarship for a full master's degree program at a German university or for study at a Germany university as part of a postgraduate or Master's degree program completed in the home country.
Terms of award:
- Study Scholarships are granted for one academic year (10 months) with the possibility of a one-year extension for those wishing to completing a full degree program in Germany.
- Funding periods are restricted to the exact dates of the German academic year (October 1 to July 31)
- Monthly stipends are approximately €750. DAAD will cover health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs (US East: €925 / West: €1,300; Canada East: €1,450 / West: €1,300). In addition, limited funds are available for a rent subsidy and family allowance.
- Results will be announced mid-April
- Students in their last year of undergraduate studies at an accredited North American university.
- Recent BA/BS or MA/MS graduates who completed their last degree no longer than 6 years ago.
- Graduate students enrolled full-time at an accredited North American university.
- US/Canadian students in the first year of a master’s degree program in Germany may apply to fund their second year.
- Applicants in all fields are welcome to apply, but we don’t support the completion of a clinical science degree in Germany such as dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, or veterinary medicine.
- Applicants may not have been living in Germany for more than 15 months by the time of application deadline.
- US/Canadian citizenship or permanent residency; foreign nationals who have been in a full-time degree program at a university in the US or Canada for at least one year by the time of application deadline are also eligible.
- Applicants in the humanities and social sciences should have a good command of German.
- Applicants may not concurrently hold a DAAD grant and a grant from another German, German-American, or German-Canadian organization for the same project.
- Prior DAAD funding recipients should contact DAAD New York before applying to determine their eligibility.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
- International or Other Visa Status
UW is a DAAD Partner University. Contact Michelle Sutton or Chetana Acharya (contact info below) regarding campus application procedures.
All UW applicants will compete in the national selection process for these awards. UW is able to identify one application per year that will be given special consideration at the national level, but all will be considered for awards.
Online application forms and instructions are at https://www.daad.org/en/find-funding/graduate-opportunities/study-scholarship/
- Please download and follow the instructions listed in the "Application Checklist."
- Please also note, if you would like to be considered for UW's priority application nomination, you will need to submit copies of your application documents to Michelle Drapek or Chetana Acharya (contact info below) by the UW deadline.
UW students and alumni should submit complete packets of all materials to Michelle Sutton (for graduate students & Master's alumni) or Chetana Acharya (for undergraduate students and Bachelor's alumni). Addresses are noted below in the Contact section. Application materials must be received by the relevant deadline depending on whether you choose to compete for the priority nomination or not.
UW Graduate Student Contact:
Fellowship & Assistantship Office
The Graduate School
G-1 Communications; Box 353770
Seattle, WA 98195
UW Undergraduate and Bachelor's Alumni Contacts:
Chetana Acharya, Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards
DAAD New York Office
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 758-3223(212) 758-3223
Fax: (212) 755-5780
Scholarship Program website: https://www.daad.org/1891572
DAAD newsletter archive