Construction Owners Association of America (COAA) Albert E. Phillips Scholarship
Website: COAA Albert E. Phillips Scholarship
The Albert E. Phillips Scholarship honors Al Phillips, a founding member of COAA who served as general counsel for the organization for 13 years. COAA acknowledges that education is a critical element to the success of those pursuing a career in our industry. As such, COAA is proud to offer up to two (2) $3000.00 Albert E. Phillips Scholarships annually to college students pursuing a career in the design and construction industry.
Winner(s) are announced at COAA's Spring COAA Connect Conference held annually in May. Recipients that elect to attend the Conference receive a complimentary conference registration, hotel accommodations, and airfare to and from the event.
Eligible Students must be either:
- a relative of an employee of a COAA Member
- an employee of a COAA Member Organization, or
- a full-time student at a COAA Member Organization of higher education
The COAA scholarships are intended for full-time undergraduate students who have successfully completed their freshman year. Applicants should have a minimum 2.5-grade point average on a 4.0 scale. A current copy of the student transcript is required.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
Apply online at https://www.coaa.org/scholarship.
Students must submit:
- Scholarship Application (below)
- Essay of 1,000 words or less on one of the following topics:
- What attracted you to construction and what are your career plans in the industry
- What do you find to be the most critical issue facing the construction industry and why?
- A complete application includes two letters of recommendation.
- Our preference is for one of the recommendation letters to come from a COAA Member who knows you and your work well.
- If a COAA member is unavailable, professors, teaching assistants, and internship supervisors are acceptable.
The Albert E. Phillips Scholarship honors Al Phillips, a founding member of COAA who served as general counsel for the organization for 13 years. Albert E. Phillips is of counsel in the Atlanta law firm of Cohen Pollock Merlin & Small.
Mr. Phillips’ practice is entirely related to construction matters, with particular emphasis on representing owners of construction projects. Mr. Phillips has represented a broad variety of clients in his field, including state, city, and county governments; state universities; airport authorities; hospitals; national and multi-national corporations, including hotel and retail chains; airlines; public utilities; private developers; architects; engineers; contractors; and surety companies.
Construction Owners Association of America, Inc.
5000 Austell Powder Springs Road, Suite 217
Austell, GA 30106