California Capital Fellows Programs
Website: Capital Fellows Program
The Capital Fellows Programs are nationally recognized public policy fellowships which offer unique experiences in policymaking and development in each branch of government.
Capital Fellows are placed at some of the highest levels of California state government and assist state legislators, senior-level executive staff, and court administrators with a broad range of public policy issues and projects and are typically given assignments with a significant amount of responsibility and challenges
Over 2,000 alumni have participated in the Capital Fellows Programs, and the ranks of former fellows include judges; members of the United States Congress and the State Legislature; state and local government officials; corporate executives; community and non-profit leaders; and university professors, administration and staff.
Rooted in experiential learning and public service, Capital Fellows spend 10-11 months as part of a cohort working in a Legislative, Executive or Judicial Branch office.
All fellows receive
- a monthly stipend of $3,253, as well as medical, dental and vision benefits;
- fully paid enrollment and earn six graduate units;
- student loan deferment;
- upon successful completion of the fellowship, a Graduate Certificate in Applied Policy and Government.
Applicant Minimum Qualifications
- A completed bachelor's degree by September 1st of the fellowship year and either a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher or a GPA of 2.5 or higher in the last 60 (semester) or 90 (quarter) units.
- Applicants must be 20 years of age or older by Sept. 1 of the fellowship year.
- Non-U.S. citizens must provide proof of appropriate immigration status. The program does not meet the requirements for F-1 or J-1 visas, nor any work permits requiring participation in the E-verify system.
- Applicants must be prepared for full-time employment, Monday - Friday.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
For application information, visit https://www.csus.edu/center/center-california-studies/capital-fellows.html
All applications must include the following materials:
- Completed online application,
- Personal statement and program or policy statement,
- Three letters of recommendation,
- Transcripts from each college and university attended.
Center for California Studies, Sacramento State
6000 J Street
Sacramento, California 95819-6081
Phone: (916) 278-6906
Fax: (916) 278-5199