California Capital Fellows Programs
Website: Capital Fellows Program
The Capital Fellows Programs are nationally recognized public policy fellowships which offer unique experiences in policy-making and development in each branch of government.
Capital Fellows are placed at some of the highest levels of California state government and assist state legislators, senior-level executive staff, and court administrators with a broad range of public policy issues and projects and are typically given assignments with a significant amount of responsibility and challenges
Over 2,000 alumni have participated in the Capital Fellows Programs, and the ranks of former fellows include judges; members of the United States Congress and the State Legislature; state and local government officials; corporate executives; community and non-profit leaders; and university professors, administration and staff.
About the Capital Fellows Programs
Rooted in experiential learning and public service, Capital Fellows spend 10-11 months as part of a cohort working in a Legislative, Executive or Judicial Branch office.
All fellow receive
- a monthly stipend of $2,964, as well as medical, dental and vision benefits;
- fully-paid enrollment and earn six graduate units;
- student loan deferment; and
- upon successful completion of the fellowship, a Graduate Certificate in Applied Policy and Government.
Applicant Minimum Qualifications
- A completed bachelor's degree by September 1st of the fellowship year and either a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher or a GPA of 2.5 or higher in the last 60 (semester) or 90 (quarter) units.
- Applicants must be 20 years of age or older by Sept. 1 of the fellowship year.
- Non-U.S. citizens must provide proof of appropriate immigration status. The program does not meet the requirements for F-1 or J-1 visas, nor any work permits requiring participation in the E-verify system.
- Applicants must be prepared for full-time employment, Monday - Friday.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
For application information, visit https://www.csus.edu/center/center-california-studies/capital-fellows.html
All applications must include the following materials:
- Completed online application,
- Personal statement and program or policy statement,
- Three letters of recommendation,
- Transcripts from each college and university attended.
Center for California Studies, Sacramento State
6000 J Street
Sacramento, California 95819-6081
Phone: (916) 278-6906(916) 278-6906
Fax: (916) 278-5199
Claire A. Bunch
Coordinator, Fellows Outreach and Special Projects
Capital Fellows Programs
Center for California Studies
California State University, Sacramento