Cultural Vistas Fellowship
Website: Cultural Vistas Fellowship
For the summer of 2020, Cultural Vistas will select up to 15 fellows to take part in this multinational professional development program that includes eight-week summer internships in Argentina, Germany, and Hong Kong. This fellowship opportunity is funded by Cultural Vistas.
The eighth class of Cultural Vistas Fellows will enrich their academic learning through professional internship and immersion experiences focused on civic engagement and youth involvement during the summer of 2020. One cohort of up to four fellows will travel to each international destination.
Candidates for the Cultural Vistas Fellowship must meet the following requirements:
U.S. citizens enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student at a four-year accredited U.S. college or university
Sophomore or junior academic status at the time of application; preferred minimum GPA of 3.0
No formal prior work or study abroad experiences
Prior knowledge of language of host country
Applicants for Argentina must have fluent or near-fluent Spanish skills
Applicants for Germany are encouraged to have taken 2 semesters of German language (or have equivalent experience)
Strong preference will be given to students historically underrepresented in international exchange. This includes, but is not limited to Pell Grant recipients; veterans; first-generation college students; STEM majors; members of minority communities within the United States; and non-traditional students.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
- International or Other Visa Status
he following documents are required as part of your Cultural Vistas Fellowship application:
To be uploaded by the applicant in the “Documents” section:
- Current résumé/CV
- Answers to the short essay questions
Each of the following questions should be answered with a maximum of 200 words:
- Please describe your understanding of the term civic engagement OR youth involvement. Explain how you demonstrate a commitment to your chosen concept in your program of study, volunteer or professional experience. Why do you think your host country is a good place to learn about this concept?
- What sort of work could you realistically see yourself doing in your host country, given your foreign language abilities and/or previous work/volunteer/academic experience? What are some hard skills you can offer your host organization?
- What do you envision will be valuable about your internship experience in the host country? Please identify two professional and two personal objectives you intend to meet during your experience.
- Describe your vision and goals for your “Fellows in Service” project.
- Keeping in mind the goals of the Cultural Vistas Fellowship, please explain why you believe you deserve this opportunity over other candidates in one sentence.
- Copy of the picture page of your passport/birth certificate
- If you are applying for the program in Argentina or Germany, we require a copy of your current résumé or CV in the language of the country of destination. Therefore, either Spanish (example) or German (example), depending on where you would like to go.
To be submitted either in hard copy or electronically:
- Official undergraduate transcript(s)
These may either be uploaded to your online application, emailed to email@example.com, or mailed directly to the Cultural Vistas Fellowship in a sealed envelope. Please do not submit copies or scans of your diploma verifying your degree. Instead, we require a transcript that contains a list of courses you completed and grades you received.
- Two letters of recommendation
Recommenders should be recent professors and supervisors who can attest to the student’s professional or educational abilities – at least one from someone who knows you in a professional capacity. Recommendations should either submitted by the recommender via the online system or mailed in a sealed envelope to the Cultural Vistas Fellowship. Please note: regardless of the method of submission, letters of recommendation must be on letterhead and be hand-signed by the recommender. Additionally, please note that all letters of recommendation must be in English and should be addressed to the Cultural Vistas Fellowship Selection Committee. Please submit no more than two letters.
The following documents are optional and can be uploaded online by the applicant in the “Documents” section:
If you choose to upload a photo, please be sure that it is a professional-looking image that depicts you alone.
Please mail any hard copy materials to the following address:
Attn: Cultural Vistas Fellowship
233 Broadway, Suite 2120
New York, NY 10279
SKILLS: A pre-program virtual orientation, including specific sessions on remote work skills
WORK EXPERIENCE: A remote internship placement in Argentina, Germany, or Southeast Asia
LEADERSHIP: A summer leadership series of weekly talks, workshops and social activities to support intercultural learning and professional development
SERVICE: A commitment to a post-program “Fellows in Service” project
COMMUNITY: Membership to the Cultural Vistas vibrant alumni community with thousands of members across over 50 countries
Fellows in Service
We want the Cultural Vistas Fellowship to have an impact that goes beyond its participants. Cultural Vistas Fellows are required to carry out an educational or service project following the completion of their remote internship that helps promote diversity, international understanding and/or intercultural learning.
This project can be conducted on the student’s home campus or in their local community, and must be completed during the fall semester directly following their fellowship experience. All Cultural Vistas Fellows must submit a project proposal within their application. This proposal will be reviewed as part of the application process.
Cultural Vistas Fellowship applicants should consider the following when proposing a “Fellows in Service” project:
Who is my target audience?
How can I publicize my service project?
Could I work with an office or organization on campus or in the community to promote my project? Could it further work they are already doing?
Cultural Vistas encourages applicants to think creatively about how to share the learning acquired during their experience and inspire others to engage with the project themes and takeaways. The “Fellows in Service” projects should be multi-faceted, of service to the greater community, and highly interactive.
Cultural Vistas Fellows should submit a small portfolio of their “Fellows in Service” projects once completed.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.