Blakemore Freeman Fellowships
Website: The Blakemore Foundation
Grants for the Study of East and Southeast Asian Languages
Since 1990, the Blakemore Foundation, with the support of The Freeman Foundation, has awarded over $17 million in grants to college graduates and young professionals for an academic year abroad in full-time intensive language study. The fellowships cover tuition and a stipend for related educational expenses, basic living costs and transportation.
Superior candidates pursuing careers in fields such as academia, international business, accounting, law, medicine, STEM (science, technology, engineering, math), journalism, architecture, teaching, social or NGO work, and government service are encouraged to apply.
Blakemore Freeman Fellowships are awarded for one academic year of advanced level language study in East or Southeast Asia. Eligible languages are Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Thai, and Vietnamese.
The Blakemore Foundation makes grants for study only at specific language programs. Please refer to the current list of approved programs.
To be eligible for a Blakemore Freeman Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be pursuing a professional, business, technical or academic career that involves the regular use of a modern East or Southeast Asian language.
- By the start of the grant, have a college undergraduate degree.
- Be at or near an advanced level in the language. The minimum requirement is three years of study of the language at the college level, either through classes taken in university or in combination with study-abroad language programs
- Be able to devote oneself exclusively to full-time intensive language study during the term of the grant. Grants are not made for part-time study or research.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
Superior candidates pursuing careers in fields such as academia, STEM (science, technology, engineering, math), international business, accounting, law, medicine, journalism, architecture, teaching, social or NGO work, and government service are encouraged to apply.
Please be aware that our grants are highly competitive. In recent years, we were able to fund less than 10% of applicants.
- US Citizen
- Permanent Resident
Applications are submitted online at https://blakemorefoundation.communityforce.com.
Please feel free to email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
The Blakemore Foundation
1201 Third Avenue, Suite 4900
Seattle, WA 98101
Eugene H. Lee, Trustee
Cathy Scheibner, Executive Assistant
(206) 359-8778 phone